Since I found the tutorials about rooting the MTK6589 did not work out of the box - at least for me, I'm going to share my experience about this topic provide you with a description of the necessary changes needed to get this done.
This is no complete tutorial by itself. Please be sure to read and understand one of the original tutorials. This article covers only the steps needed for doing this with an MacBook Pro (OS X 10.8.x) for MTK6589.
- Read one of the tutorials to get familiar with the process. Download the mt6589_rooting_pkg.zip
- Make sure adb is running and can see your device (run adb devices)
- Upload pwn, su and busybox to device, Install Superuser.apk on device with adb
- Run pwn (this actually roots the phone)
- Do some cleanup and reboot the phone
- http://droidchina.com/forum/Thread-Auto-Root-MTK6589-One-click-root (Semi-Original Tutorial)
- OR http://droidchina.com/forum/Thread-How-To-Root-MTK6589-Tutorial (Original Tutorial)
- mt6589_rooting_pkg.zip (Original files, needed to for rooting)
Make sure ADB is running
I'd recommend to install Android SDK and Tools on your system, but you can also use the appropriate adb executable from the mt6589_rooting_pkg.zip you downloaded. Run adb devices to see if ADB can connect to the device. (Make sure you only have the device you want to root connected)
Upload (also 4. Run pwn & 5. CleanUp)
You can try to run the script run.sh (or run.bat) but on my system it didn't work. It was hanging at adb wait-for-device. When I killed the process and started it again it said that there are to many devices connected. So I took out the essential part of the script and ran it manually within a terminal. Make sure you see you device (only once) with adb devices.
Needed commands for rooting device
(This is a outtake from run.sh. The rooting script for Mac OS X or other Unix based systems)
echo "[*] Pushing exploit..." adb push pwn /data/local/tmp/pwn adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/pwn echo "[*] Pushing root tools..." adb push su /data/local/tmp/su adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox adb install Superuser.apk echo "[*] Rooting phone..." adb shell /data/local/tmp/pwn echo "[*] Cleaning up..." adb shell rm /data/local/tmp/pwn adb shell rm /data/local/tmp/su adb shell rm /data/local/tmp/busybox echo "[*] Exploit complete." adb reboot adb kill-server
- Original tutorial by umit