I found the following tutorial from chainfire the easiest and most useful, so here is the link to the original as well as a copy of the tutorial. CF Auto-Root tutorial for Samsung SM G900F by chainfire.
!!! WARNING !!!
Using this root increases your flash counter and trips the KNOX warranty flag!
- Read the tutorial to get familiar with the process.
- Download CF-Auto-Root-klte-kltexx-smg900f.zip and Odin3_v3.10.6.zip
- Follow the instructions below to root with ODIN (Windows needed)
ODIN Installation (detailed)
Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Download and unzip CF-Auto-Root-klte-kltexx-smg900f.zip (alternative)
- If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
- Download and unzip Odin3_v3.10.6.zip (alternative)
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-klte-kltexx-smg900f.tar.md5
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
- Click the Start button
- Wait for Android to boot => Done (If phone doesn't reboot automatically you have to do it manually)
- Original tutorial by chainfire